Monday, November 16, 2015

Death of a Soldier


I can’t hear. Sounds like air is rushing in my head. Ears are ringing. I can’t see. I might be blinking my eyes but I don’t know. I may be moving my hands but I don’t know.
I hear her little breath in my ear. A morning where we got to sleep in. I open my eyes to my beautiful girl. Her arm is wrapped around a drinking cup. Her hair isn’t so thin anymore. I remember we had to cut it because it was getting in her eyes. Her legs are long. The baby fat rolls on her wrists are gone away. Her fingernails are painted red…she already wants to be like mommy. The sun has risen and is shining bright, reflecting off the white sheets. Her little breath is in my ear.
A drop of mud falls on my face. I’m surprised how that happened in my bedroom. Somebody outside in the yard is screaming. My stomach hurts…where is my little girl? I clutch for her with mud caked fingers. Noises that are abominations surround me. I hear breathing again but it’s a gasp…it’s me… it’s so hard to breathe. My stomach hurts.
Breathing turns into waves crashing upon a beach. Abominable sounds change to the wind. Screaming becomes a gull. Smoke becomes white clouds high above me. It’s a familiar beach…I remember walking and being carried here. The war is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment